WHAT TO DO IF YOU HAVE USED ASPARTAMEBy Neurosurgeon Russell Blaylock, M.D.
(c) 2003The most important starting point of any detoxification program is to stop exposure to the toxin or toxins. This means avoiding even small amounts, since once sensitized to the toxin even minute amounts can produce full-blown toxicity. This is especially so with accumulative toxins, such as aspartame. It has been shown conclusively that the metabolic products of methanol breakdown, formaldehyde in particular, accumulates on the DNA and cellular proteins. Once you have cleansed your diet of the toxin, removal of the toxin and its metabolic products from your system will begin. Central to this process is the body's detoxification system, which exist in all cells of the body, with the bulk of detoxification taking place in the liver. The detoxification system is divided into two components called phase I and phase II, which work in tandem. Toxins pass through phase I and then pass to phase II where they are further detoxified and made water-soluble for eventual disposal. It is now known that you can significantly enhance the body's ability to detoxify these substances through the judicious use of specific supplements. Of the two systems phase II is most important and most often impaired.
The following is a list of nutrients that enhance detoxification:
In addition to detoxification, other nutrients play a more direct role in protecting cells and in promoting their recovery from toxicity. These include:
- Indole-3 carbinol-100 mg twice a day. This natural substance enhances phase II. It is extracted from cruciferous vegetables such as broccoli, Brussel's sprouts and cauliflower. It can be purchased as an extract.
- Taurine 500 mg a day- This is a sulfur-containing amino acid that is used by the liver for sulfonation reactions. It is to be taken between meals.
- Milk Thistle (silymarin) 175 mg. Take two twice a day. This extract has been shown to substantially enhance liver detoxification and is also a very powerful antioxidant for all cells.
- Curcumin- 500 mg three times a day with olive oil. This is an extract taken from turmeric. It is an extremely powerful antioxidant, enhances both phases I and II detoxification, is a radioprotectant, enhances bile flow, inhibits cancer growth, and is a very powerful anti-inflammatory. Also enhances DNA repair enzymes.
- Panthethine 250 mg Take one capsule 3X a day- This vitamin is the enzyme form of pantothenic acid. It plays a vital role in enhancing the aldehyde dehydrogenase enzyme. (For formaldehyde detoxification)
- Thiamine- 100 mg. Take three a day. (Vitamin B1) This vitamin plays a major role in protecting nerves as well as the brain. It is commonly depleted with pesticide exposure.
- Pyrodoxyl-5 phosphate 50 mg- Take one a day. This is the functional form of vitamin B6. People exposed to chemical toxins frequently have low levels of this vitamin. When vitamin B6 is deficient, taurine is also low. It plays a major role in protecting against glutamate and aspartate toxicity.
In addition to avoiding aspartame you must avoid other toxins as well. This includes MSG, pesticides, herbicides, bug sprays, fluoride, mercury, cadmium, aluminum and the many other toxins found commonly in the environment. Many of these toxins act synergistically, that is, when combined they have toxic effects that exceed their additive effects.
- Magnesium- 750 to 1000 mg a day. (Magnesium citrate/malate) Magnesium plays a major role in cell protection, especially against excitotoxicty. In addition it protects against strokes and heart attacks.
- Selenium- 200 ug a day. This mineral also plays a role in protecting cells from toxins, especially mercury. It plays a major role in protecting against free radicals.
- N-acetyl L-cysteine (NAC)- 750 mg a day. This is a substance that in cells is converted to glutathione. Glutathione is your cell's major protection against free radicals produced by toxins such as aspartame.. In addition, NAC removes mercury. NAC also enhances detoxification.
- Multi-"B" vitamins- This should be a multivitamins that contains 25 to 50 mgs of each of the B vitamins. The multivitamin should not contain iron. Take one a day.
- Vitamin E (as mixed tocopherols) 400 IU twice a day. A powerful antioxidant, prevents heart attacks an stokes and the gamma-tocopherol is a powerful anti-inflammatory.
- Vitamin C (as magnesium ascorbate) 2000 mg twice to three times a day. Plays a major role in cell protection against oxygen stress, protects the nervous system and enhances tissue repair.
- CoQ10 100 mg twice a day. This is a major energy molecule and protects the brain against excitotoxicity.
- DHA 200 mg a day. This is a component of omega-3-fatty acids. It plays a vital role in membrane repair and repair of synapses.
In addition, you need regular, moderate exercise (never aerobic), avoid soy products, cheese, and vegetable oils. Do not smoke or use drugs. All of these things increase free radical damage and prevent tissue repair. You should eat a diet high in vegetables and with some fruits, no sugar (or honey), moderate complex carbohydrates and pure water free of contaminants, including fluoride. Do not use fluoride toothpaste, mouthwashes or receive fluoride treatments. If you follow these principles you will notice quick recovery from your toxic encounter. More serious toxic encounters may take several months for recovery.
Please refer to my web site at http://www.russellblaylockmd.com for more information on my books. Russell Blaylock, M.D. (Health & Nutrition Secrets To Save Your Life, Excitotoxins: The Taste That Kills, etc.)
USED BY PERMISSION OF THE AUTHOR
Click on photo for purchase information. Excitotoxins: The Taste That Kills (Paperback) by Russell L. BlaylockIt is almost a cliche in this day and age for someone to ask the waiter at a Chinese restaurant 'no MSG, please,' as is the waiter's knowing smirk in response. MonoSodium Glutamate (MSG), or 'The essence of taste' (as coined by the Japanese), is used as a 'taste-enhancer' in nearly every form of processed food on the market today, though 'taste addiction' may be a more correct term. But what exactly does it do? And how is it harmful?
Dr. Russell L. Blaylock answers these questions and poses some startling evidence as to the eventual consequences of a heavy MSG-diet in his book _Excitotoxins: The Taste that Kills_. In basic terms, MSG (and other, similar agents) pierces the blood-brain barrier and over-stimulates the neurons of a brain to a deadly degree. Habitual intake among animal experiments has shown the development of tumors, memory loss, and a whole host of neurodegenerative diseases as the end result of excess excitotoxin intake, including Alzhiemer's, Parkenson's, Lou Gerhig's etc.
Walk into any gas station in the United States (or grocery store, for that matter) and, upon close investigation, you will find that 75%-90% of the available food has been 'enhanced' to some degree by excitotoxins. The chemical agents are often disguised by such ambiguous terms as 'spice' and 'natural flavors' or, my personal favorite, 'hydrolyzed vegetable protein.' A consumer society must have consumer slaves to keep it functioning; MSG is the crack cocaine of the food industry...and it is legally perpetuated by slush-fund advocates and a pork-glutted FDA. As proven again and again, money talks, ... [you can finish the maxim for me].
Blaylock's thesis is written in a technical style, but the use of repetition throughout each chapter hammer in his myriad points into the reader with precision and power. An important book for anyone concerned with the health of self and family. You are what you eat---but do you know _what_ it is you are eating, below the surface of taste/fulfillment?
If you or someone you know
drinks diet soda check out the
Aspartame Victims Support Group at